Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Ultimate Mac Compatibility Look up


A Rancho Santa Fe client was in the process up updating their computers and we came across an iMac (the big CRT monitor style ones!) that still functioned pretty well. I booted it up and scooted around OS 9.2 looking at its inner workings. I looked to see what web browser it used, how much RAM it had, what applications were included with that OS. I then thought it would be really cool to run some retro software in its native environment. Wait... OS 9.2 doesn't support flash drives or modern web browsers! I decided that I needed to figure out what my options were. A buddy of mine, also a technician, recommended I look up what OS options I had via The Ultimate Mac Lookup.

Using the model number on the underside of the system I saw all sorts of helpful info:
-When that model was introduced.

-How much RAM it typically shipped with.

-How large the Hard Drive was it typically had.

-How fast the CPU was. (350Mhz Power PC was in mine!)


Most importantly, I discovered that the maximum Mac OS it supported was 10.3.9 which means I could toss a little RAM into it and actually install a few modern applications. The CPU speed would hinder its performance, but my curious nature showed me a powerful tool for helping clients make decisions about upgrading their own Apple systems without having to jump through multiple menus to get the system specifications. This amazing tool isn't just for Apple desktops and laptops, it also supports iPads, iPods, and iPhones!

-- 


-Greg


Office: 619-255-1215

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment