Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Limit CPU usage to avoid overheat issues with Handbreak

Handbreak is a wonderful conversion utility, but many folks complain that it overheats the CPU then the PC shuts down.  I had a client in San Diego experiencing this computer problem too.  The repair was to use http://bitsum.com/index.php  Process Lasso can limit the CPU usage.  In my experience I tried to limit the CPU usage, but the only way I could do that was to use half of my threads.  Handbreak runs the CPU at 99% which will end badly.  I found that running about 25% of the CPU cores was the answer.  Conversion times barely increase but the CPU temps would stay in a manageable range as teh CPU usage would stay at or below 50%.

I hope others find this post about handbreak overheating CPU max usage thermal shutdown.  Search for those!

Kurt Rein
Mobile Computer Wizard
619 255-1215 Office

No comments:

Post a Comment